Saturday, October 4, 2008

There can be miracles

President Monson announced during the morning session of General Conference that a temple will be built in Rome, Italy! When he said that there were going to be five new temples, I said outloud "Please say Italy. Please say Italy." He saved the best for last and I was so excited that I started yelling. We talked about it so much on my mission, but I truly thought it would be years before it actually happened. I cried when I pictured the members in Taranto and Messina watching the broadcast and hearing the announcement. This will mean so much to them. And not just to the members in Italy. This will bring the blessings of the temple closer to the members in Malta and other surrounding countries as well. Hopefully I can visit the Rome temple someday, but even if I can't ever go, I will still be grateful for miracles because this truly is one.

5 comments:

Jamie, Amanda, and Kids said...

My brother went to Rome on his mission. I'm sure he was pretty excited, too. I know we about jumped out of our skin with excitement, too. Exciting stuff!
Jamie and Fam

Katy Truman said...

Oh thats so great Marilee. Conference has just been great all the way around so far. Looks like everything is going well for you guys. Your kids are so cute! Hope we get to see you in Utah again soon!

Lisa said...

It is awesome news! I was thinking about you just the other day. Guess who is in Italy right now? Dad and Loni are taking a mediteranean cruise right now. They are even going to Malta. My Dad said he wished you could be there to translate for them.

Celeste Christensen said...

That is terrific. Peter's dad served in Italy as well. A friend from long ago served there as well. I wonder what his reaction would be. Probably the same as yours.

Karena said...

I think everyone was suprised by that announcement! I loved the gasp in the Conference Center and then the laugh everyone had over their own shock. I think that people were shocked and then so happy to know that the work had progressed that far.