Sunday, July 13, 2008

Fourth of July

We spent the 4th of July in Iowa with most of Peter's family. We stayed at Melissa and Jerad's brand new home in Ankeny (it's so beautiful!) and had a fun time shopping, picnicking, and even held the first annual Merrell Family baseball game.





Peter's niece Sara borrowed our camera one afternoon and we thought some of the pictures she took were interesting...





We told her not to take pictures of Megan who was down for a nap and so we were extra surprised to discover a few pictures like this.



Grandpa got to see Colin in his Harley Davidson outfit. I wonder if we can find a matching outfit in Grandpa's size?


One afternoon when the men were all helping Jerad install cabinets in his new dental practice, Sara, Claire and Marianna had a fashion show.




We drove home via Ottumwa, Iowa and spent the night with Peter's sister Robyn who moved there last week. They bought an antique house (I think it's 100 years old or so) and it is beautiful and spacious inside. Megan and Brayden had fun showing each other their casts.







After we started the drive home, we saw signs that the bridge across the Mississippi into Illinois was closed. We created our own detour route and drove through some pretty small towns and still made it home in good time. We made a 4 1/2 hour drive to Iowa, a 2 hour drive to Ottumwa, and a 3 1/2 hour drive home all without stopping once for the kids. Peter did have to stop once to ask for directions, but that was it!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

It was fun seeing pictures of all the cousins! I don't get to see them very often. I didn't even recognize Kaitlyn. She was so little when they left. The picture of Uncle Wayne with Colin turned out really good. What happened to Braydens arm?

Liz said...

Looks like a fun family 4th of July! I love the fashion show and the alternating red and blue text. Ingenious! :)

Lisa/Scott said...

That's awesome! We played baseball on the forth too! Colin looks so cute on his grandpa's lap. The fashion show reminds me of when I was a little girl.